How can I register while I am outside of New York State?

How can I register while I am outside of New York State?

Getting a vehicle registration if you are either living in New York or planning on moving there, is a process. There are a few steps you will need to take care of if you are renewing your New York car registration. If you are registering your vehicle for the first time in the state, there are also tips in this article about the process. In the state of New York, registering your vehicle is a fairly simple process in comparison to some of the other states in the country. Visiting the New York DMV is a fantastic way to get the information you need, though you will want to be aware of the information contained in this article as well. Whether you are buying a new car or a used one from a New York dealer, you may find the process to be even easier. A car dealer selling new vehicles will often roll the price of the vehicle registration into the overall price of the car or add it to your loan if you are financing. This is a convenient way to take care of registering and titling your new vehicle. If purchasing a car from a private party, you can also visit the online registration page. You can complete most of your registration there. You will need to bring your registration application, a bar-coded copy, along with your New York driver's license or permit, or a non-driver ID if you do not have either. You’ll also need to bring your certificate of title, proof of adequate liability insurance, payment for the fees, and proof of incorporation if you are registering the vehicle for an organization or business.

How Can I Register While I Am Outside Of New York State?

In many cases, you will have to be in the state of New York in order to do your initial registration. Registration must be done within 30 days of becoming a resident of the state if you have recently moved to New York. If you are a resident of New York and get a vehicle from another state that you will be driving on the New York State roadways, you have 30 days to register the vehicle in the state. If you are not a resident of New York, the registration from your state of residence is valid. Check with the New York State DMV to get more information about registering your vehicle if you are out of the state of New York. This is possible to do in many cases. You can apply for registration and a title certificate by mail from outside of the state as well. A number of items will need to be mailed to the local DMV office where you live or are going to live. You will need to submit a completed vehicle registration and title application form, provide proof of ownership (which must be original,) have proof of NYS automobile liability insurance, provide photocopies of proof of identity and age, and submit payment for the registration, including sales tax.

When Will I Get My Documents?

You will receive your registration documents in approximately six weeks and should allow 90 days for your title certificate. Once your application is processed, the state of New York will send you your registration documents, your vehicle plates, and a ten-day inspection extension sticker. When you enter New York State, put the ten-day inspection sticker on your vehicle and mark the box on the sticker that indicates you have entered the state. You will need to have your inspection completed within ten days of this time.

Do I Need To Register My Vehicle In New York State?

If you are a current primary resident of the state of New York, you will need to register the vehicle in the state. Each state can have different definitions of the word “resident,” so make sure to read up on the requirements and definitions in New York. Contact the motor vehicle agency in other states you think you may need to register your vehicle in.

What Do I Need To Bring To The DMV?

You will need to bring your vehicle registration and title application, completed, to the DMV. Also, you should bring proof of ownership, which must be original. In addition, proof of NYS auto liability insurance, proof of identity and age, and payment must be brought with you.

Start saving NOW!

with StateInsurance

Bundle home and auto insurance for bigger discount
Сall us
for free

Speak to a licensed agent toll free

1(844) 206-3962 Agents Currently Available